Welcome to the City of Rye, NY
Receive critical community alerts by enrolling in CODE RED
Requirements for Dogs to be Off-Leash at Rye Town Park
Request for Proposals-Rye Golf Club Snack Bar/Halfway House
Update on 2012 Bond Issue Projects
Energy Improvement Corporation
Info On Rye App - free at Apple and Android Stores
View Con Ed outages, weather, flood charts, tides and more.
Playland Improvement Program Information from West. Co. (Oct. 2013)
FOIL Procedures Effective August 6, 2013
Rye Historical Fact
- Benjamin Franklin developed the system of milestones for the Boston Post Road marking the distance from lower Manhattan. Three milestones, #24, 25 and 26, still exist in Rye.
- The first Rye settlers came from Greenwich in 1660. They bought Manursing Island from the Siwanoy for 8 coats, 7 shirts and 15 fathom of wampum.
- Rye was part of Connecticut in the late 1600s. The New York/Connecticut boarder dispute wasn’t settled until 1731.
- George Washington stayed at the Square House (known as “Widow Haviland’s”) twice in 1789. He called it “a very neat and decent inn”.
- John Adams and his cousin Samuel stopped at the Square House in 1774 on their way to the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
- The first village square was located across from the Square House and was where the local militia trained. Criminals were punished there in stockades and a whipping post.
- Purchase St. wasn’t paved until 1912. To keep the dust down, the Village Improvement Association used sprinkling carts to spray water on the street.
- When the Square House became the Village Hall in 1904, Rye’s population was 3,500. The Square House remained the Village Hall until 1964 when City Hall was built.
- The railroad came to Rye in 1849. Before that, the most efficient mode of transportation was on the water.
- The Rye Arts Center building at 51 Milton Road was built in 1788 as the second Episcopal Church, replacing the original church that burned during the Revolution.