Get Directions
Staff Directory

City of Rye, NY

Rye Rec FAQs

Damiano Recreation
Center/Recreation Park

281 Midland Avenue
Rye, NY 10580

Phone: (914) 967-2535
Fax: (914) 967-5521

Office Hours:
M-F 9:00-5:00 p.m.

Program cancellation hot-line:
(914) 390-1379

Registration Email:

Rye Recreation > Rye Rec FAQs


1. How can I obtain the use of an athletic field in Rye?
Contact the Rye Recreation Office at 967-2535. Fields are made available on a rental reservation system. Sanctioned youth leagues or Rye Recreation department programs will have priority use on fields.

2. What adult programs are offered?
Programs are always being added so please refer to the Recreation Newsletter that is distributed 3 times a year. Core programs include Softball for Men or Women, Men’s Basketball, Yoga and Karate.?

3. Do you need a permit to play tennis?
No, but daily fees will be charged and proof of residency is required. Permits offer a substantial discount if you will be playing regularly.

4. Does Rye Recreation operate the youth sport leagues?
No. Those programs are operated by independent volunteer programs. However, since we facilitate their programs we can provide contact and general information. All League contacts located under “useful links” and are listed in the Recreation Newsletter.

5. Is Crawford Park a City of Rye facility?
No. For information on Crawford Park, please contact 939-5770.?

6. How can I pay for Rye Recreation programs?
Rye Recreation accepts cash, check and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, Discover Card & AMEX). When paying for any programs at locations other than Damiano Center please pay by check. There is also an On-line service where you can sign up and get immediate confirmation on select recreation activities. Click here for more information.?

7. How do I join an adult softball team?
Softball teams' rosters are registered independently. Individual names will be distributed to team managers. Contact Rye Recreation to have your name distributed to softball managers.

8. Are dogs allowed in the parks?
Dogs are permitted in the parks on a leash but are not permitted on play fields or playgrounds. Owners are expected to have their pets leashed at all time and to pick up after them.

9. How are the picnic shelters reserved?
These facilities are reserved at the Rye Recreation department beginning in January of each year. Contact the recreation office for reservation and fee information. One must be a Rye resident in order to book this facility.

10. How late do the parks stay open?
Seasonal hours will govern use; however, 10 p.m. curfews exist in all City of Rye parks.

11. How do I know if games are cancelled due to inclement weather?
Call the Rye Recreation Hot Line at 390-1379 mail box #1 for all current program information.

12. Does Rye Recreation operate Playland or Oakland Beach?
No. Playland Park and Beach are operated by the Westchester County Department of Parks and Recreation. The contact number is (914) 813-7010.

Oakland Beach is operated by the Town of Rye. The contact number is (914) 967-0965 during the season and (914) 939-3553 the rest of the year.

Can't find an answer here? - E-mail your question directly to the Rye Recreation Department.

Answers to Common Misconceptions and Some Interesting Facts

Rye Recreation DOES NOT sponsor the following youth programs: youth soccer (travel or intramurals) or youth baseball/softball programs (Little League/Babe Ruth), Rye Girls Sports or Rye Youth Lacrosse. Each league has it’s own Board of Directors, volunteers etc. Rye Recreation acts as a liaison to each league, which includes allocation of fields. 

Rye Little League Apply on-line only at:

Rye Youth Soccer
Registrar's Number (914) 967-5273
Apply on-line only at:

Rye Youth Lacrosse
Contact: David Greenhouse (212) 319-6674
Apply on-line at

Rye Girls Softball
Phone: (914) 967-5235 - Nancy Pryor
Apply on-line only at:
For information email

Rye Babe Ruth
Contact: 967-7695, Bruce Miller, League President
spring registration information/application