Welcome to the City of Rye, NY
Rock Removal Registration Now in Effect
Click HERE for more information
2015 Resource Directory for Rye's Seniors HERE
County Mobile Passport Unit is coming to Rye on July 16th
2016 Community Events "Sign-Up"
FOIL Procedures Effective June 11, 2015
Requirements for Dogs to be Off-Leash at Rye Town Park
Dept of Public Works Residents Guide
Update on 2012 Bond Issue Projects
Energy Improvement Corporation
Info On Rye App - free at Apple and Android Stores
View Con Ed outages, weather, flood charts, tides and more.
Playland Improvement Program Information from West. Co. (Oct. 2013)
Rye Historical Fact
- Benjamin Franklin developed the system of milestones for the Boston Post Road marking the distance from lower Manhattan. Three milestones, #24, 25 and 26, still exist in Rye.
- The first Rye settlers came from Greenwich in 1660. They bought Manursing Island from the Siwanoy for 8 coats, 7 shirts and 15 fathom of wampum.
- Rye was part of Connecticut in the late 1600s. The New York/Connecticut boarder dispute wasn’t settled until 1731.
- George Washington stayed at the Square House (known as “Widow Haviland’s”) twice in 1789. He called it “a very neat and decent inn”.
- John Adams and his cousin Samuel stopped at the Square House in 1774 on their way to the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
- The first village square was located across from the Square House and was where the local militia trained. Criminals were punished there in stockades and a whipping post.
- Purchase St. wasn’t paved until 1912. To keep the dust down, the Village Improvement Association used sprinkling carts to spray water on the street.
- When the Square House became the Village Hall in 1904, Rye’s population was 3,500. The Square House remained the Village Hall until 1964 when City Hall was built.
- The railroad came to Rye in 1849. Before that, the most efficient mode of transportation was on the water.
- The Rye Arts Center building at 51 Milton Road was built in 1788 as the second Episcopal Church, replacing the original church that burned during the Revolution.